Tabla de Contenidos
WiFi or wireless networks as they are popularly known allow the connection two or more computers to each other. They also make it easy to access the Internet without having to use cables. Its operation depends on access points through which we users can connect to the different services of the network that are email, social networks, Skype, WhatsApp, entertainment, leisure and many more.
What do I need to create a Wireless network?
To create your Wifi network you only need a wireless router This is the main device on the wireless network, which receives the signal from a source and routes it to its destination on our local network. Routers are generally used to interconnect two networks from our Internet provider and from our home or office.
WiFi Connections Standard
The standard for establishing the connection between computers wirelessly is the internationally accepted IEEE 802.11 (b, G, n) because it uses the 2.4 GHz band that is available in most countries of the world, with transmission speeds of up to 11 Mbit/s , 54 Mbit/s and 300 Mbit/s, respectively. Recently enable the 5 GHz band known as WiFi 5 that operates through the IEEE 802.11 ac standard
Utility of wireless networks
The use is related to mobile equipment that occupy this technology to access the Internet from the vicinity of an access point or hotspot. You’ve already made use of this kind of service. Having your cell phone or SmartPhone connected to the network telephony. Let’s see what the pros and cons of WiFi technology are.
Benefits of WiFi Networks
This technology has many advantages that have allowed us to have more mobility with our equipment without relying on wired networks.
- Low-cost deployment — a lot of infrastructure spending is not required for installation.
- Zero cables — client computers do not need cables to connect to the network
- Technology is standards-based and has certifications
- Access to the network is instantly due to its simple and quick installation
- The type of configuration can be free or with password security
- The network can be used by several devices at the same time.
- Once the connection is configured you can make use of the network resources (print, mail, shared data)
- WiFi offers wide mobility within spaces of our home or office
- Access passwords can be changed instantly
- Supports the protocol called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), which automatically assigns IP addresses to wireless clients.
Disadvantages of WiFi Networks
- Distance: Depend on the reach of the signal
- Interference: the existence of electromagnetic waves in place may interfere with the connection signal
- Obstacles: the signal dims or weakens when the area is surrounded by walls.
- The number of users that can be connected is limited
- Low level of security can be easily hacked
- Loss of data in signal transmission
- Channel saturation used. This decreases the performance of the connection
- Provides full access to network resources if not anchored
- This technology is not compatible with other types of cable-free connections such as Bluetooth, GPRS, UMTS, etc.
- According to the standard it uses so it will limit the connection speed
Now you know a little more about Wifi networks. its advantages and disadvantages; The main advantage of this technology is the ability to stay connected and access Internet services. The main limitation is the speed of data transfer. Same as we should analyze in detail to determine whether or not we should have to use a wireless connection.