Tabla de Contenidos
Nuclear energy, also known as Atomic Energy, is one of the most powerful energies that exist but also more questioned by society, in fact its nuclear plants are iconic and easy to identify for many.
Benefits of Nuclear Energy
- It is proven to be a clean and efficient energy that does not generate CO2.
- It is a great source of jobs, as it is estimated that to put a reactor to work requires no less than 500 people.
- The operating capacity of a nuclear power plant is continuous throughout the year.
- It is a less-impact alternative to fossil fuels.
- Generating electricity from this source of energy is quite economical compared to other alternatives.
- The residues and waste produced by a nuclear power plant are minimal and do not have a significant impact on the environment.
- The installation of a nuclear power plant requires little space compared to other sources of energy.
- Prices for this type of energy are usually accessible and stable.
- There is abundant availability of uranium on the planet.
- In the face of renewable energies, nuclear energy is not dependent on nature.
How do you get nuclear energy
Nuclear power originates from the division of Uranium atoms – a process called fission. This generates heat to produce steam, which is used by a turbine generator to generate electricity. Because nuclear power plants do not burn fuel, they do not produce greenhouse gas emissions.
In this video you can see how you can get atomic energy
Disadvantages of nuclear energy
- The raw material is uranium, which is a non-renewable resource.
- The construction of a nuclear plant requires a high investment and the time to finish the work can take up to 10 years.
- Uranium extraction negatively affects the environment.
- The level of risk in the face of a nuclear disaster is incalculable.
- It is a technology that has been used for warmongers purposes.
- It is not a source of energy that can replace fossil fuels.
- Eradicating radioactive waste that is produced by nuclear plants is not an easy task.
- The type of transport used, sea and land, represent a high risk for the environment.
- Reactors have an expiration date and require dismantling.
- It is difficult to manage the waste generated.
Nuclear energy is a high-proportioned source of energy, with optimal safety protocols, it represents a trustworthy alternative for low-cost power generation.
¿Te ha parecido útil este artículo?