Tabla de Contenidos
The solar energy as its name indicates it is the energy that is obtained by direct light of the sun. The sun’s rays turn into thermal or electrical energy. Even if you do not believe the great advantage of solar energy is that it comes from a renewable resource which makes it inexhaustible. Until some time ago it had not been taken advantage of.
But today it has been possible to show that its use represents an inexhaustible resource and more against other energy alternatives that are very expensive or affect the ecosystem.
Although it is known that solar energy is very respectful of the environment, it has not only advantages but also some drawbacks. Let’s discuss some advantages and disadvantages of solar energy.
Advantages of Solar Energy
1. It is a renewable resource so its source is inexhaustible. 2. It can be picked up from the houses with the installation of solar panels. 3. It does not generate pollution, therefore it does not affect the atmosphere or water. 4. It does not generate greenhouse gases. 5. The technology to take advantage of the energy is silent, it does not generate noise pollution. 6. It is a resource available anywhere in the world. 7. Its use is low cost, both to obtain the energy and to distribute it. 8. It’s a very versatile energy. 9. It represents a good source of direct and indirect jobs. 10. It’s a clean, efficient energy.
Disadvantages of Solar Energy
- The dependence of the sun is one of the most critical elements, because if the day is cloudy you can not capture the energy and of course you can not at night.
- Today’s solar-energy accumulation mechanisms are not sufficiently capable to meet current demand.
- The solar panels have been proven to be not fully efficient.
- Batteries to store energy are expensive.
- The initial investment to capture solar energy is considerable.
- There are problems in the transmission of energy over long distances.
- It requires a considerable amount of space for better use.
- The manufacture of photovoltaic cells results from non-renewable energies, affecting the environment.
- Photovoltaic plants do not have the capacity to supply a continuous flow of electricity.
- Moving the solar panels can be very difficult.
- Thermal energy is considered to be available in substantial quantities for any effective use.
- It is almost impossible to transfer or store thermal energy.
- Requires a large initial investment
- Its generation requires large amounts of water
- These plants only produce electricity when the sun is shining
- On cloudy or nighttime days it is not possible to produce electricity without intervention of the country’s electric power.
Uses of Solar Energy
Solar energy can be used to generate electricity, central heating, hot water, cooking, to produce salt. Solar energy comes from the rays of the sun. It is known that solar energy is very respectful to the environment. However, when the sun’s rays enter the Earth’s atmosphere it is quite its potency is rather weak. Solar technologies can take advantage of this energy for many forms of use, including electricity generation, light supply or a comfortable interior environment and water heating for domestic, commercial or industrial use.
How sunlight transforms into energy
There are several ways invented by man to transform the light of the sun into energy the most known are the following:
- Photovoltaic energy: The energy is obtained by means of crystalline silicon plates which is a semiconductor material of thin film. Silicon cells are more efficient in converting sunlight into electricity.
- Thermal: It is obtained by means of a solar collector collects the heat of the solar radiation and transfers the heat to potable water.
- Solar energy concentration: they use mirrors to concentrate the energy of the sun to drive traditional steam turbines or engines that create electricity.
- Passive solar power: these are systems that are designed and oriented to collect, store and distribute the thermal energy of sunlight to keep occupants comfortable without the use of moving parts or electronic components.
Solar energy is shaping up in our day as one of the best alternatives against traditional non-renewable energies. It also has the power needed to progressively replace the current systems, with an educational work in the society could be perfectly implemented its use.
¿Te ha parecido útil este artículo?