Regarding mechanical energy, we can not stop aiming at machines, which finally changed the dynamics of tasks, as they were running, which required the brute force of man or animal.
- It is one of the most economical to generate, among all types of energy.
- It affected positively the way the tasks were performed, reducing manual labor and in other cases Anulándolos completely.
- The previously used animal force was replaced by machines.
- The potential of the force to be produced is higher than that exerted manually.
- It depends on itself to generate the power, so it is autonomous.
- It speeds up processes in which a lot of human strength would have to be used.
- It’s more efficient than manual labor.
- This type of energy is easily accessible, its distribution and use is very economical in different sectors.
- It’s a very versatile energy, so it has multiple applications and uses.
- It is more comfortable and safe, the machines have decreased the occupational hazards and the accidents have been reduced.
Examples of mechanical energy
A hydroelectric plant is also an example of conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy. The mechanical energy of the water falling from a waterfall is used to rotate the turbines that are present at the bottom of a waterfall. The rotation of these turbines is used to generate electricity.
- There is an important cost in maintaining the machines that take advantage of this energy.
- The machines are usually very heavy, which opens up some risks.
- Machines may become obsolete over time and require replacement.
- Moving heavy machinery often represents an important cost.
- Training and/or specialization is required for the use of certain machinery.
- Over time, in some sectors machines replace the human workforce, creating unemployment.
- The transmission of this type of energy over long distances is complicated.
- Machine failures are continuous and represent a cost for repair or replacement.
- There is greater wear at the thermal level.
- The interaction with the machines can be a bit traumatic and complicated for some people.
The mechanical energy is the one that we can perceive most of all the energies with which we interact: machines, vehicles, transports and in turn power to the strength of the chemical and electrical energy.